Thursday, February 12, 2009

My Grandpa

Today would have been my Grandpa's 100th birthday. He passed away almost 6 years ago, but was able to live in his house on his own right up until a few months before his death.
These photos were taken on his 90th birthday.
This was he and I after the open house at my mom's house. He looks a little crabby in the photo, but he was one of the happiest guys I've ever met.

"Holding court" at the dinner after the open house. He loved to tell stories and jokes. Never spoke badly of anyone. He had no desire to travel. Just content with what he had and spending time with friends. A real country gentleman.

My mom was an only child and we grew up just a few doors down from him. I saw him every day and although he was involved in our lives, he was never intrusive.
I miss him as much today as I did the day of his funeral.

And a little card I made this week. Nothing fancy. Just some old paper, a Kaisercraft wood swirl, a Studio Calico eyelet flower and a vintage button. Fast, simple and sweet. One of my favorites that I'm sure I'll replicate over and over.


Now to vent ...
Will just about drove me over the edge this morning. Didn't want to go to school. I literally had to dress him (difficult when he has his arms locked across his chest), brush his teeth and stand outside to make sure he got on the bus. I have no idea what was up. I asked if he felt sick or if someone was bothering him at school. Nope. "School's no fun". This coming from the kid that loves every minute of school and has his Valentine party today. I wouldn't be overly surprised if he's coming down with something. So I tried to keep that in mind as I was wrestling with his clothes this morning. He's surprising strong for a 6-year-old.
Add to the fact that Paul woke up shortly after 3am and has been up ever since terrorising the household. I found a half empty bag of Oreos when I got up. The kid's jacked up on sugar. Maybe he'll take a nap today. Fingers crossed!
My headache is off to a roaring start.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm sorry about your grandpa. I never lived close to any of my relatives and I'm always slightly jealous of those who were close to theirs. Be very thankful of all the great memories that you have of him...you are lucky to have those. And I love the flower on your card too!! So cute!!

Noel said...

Your grandpa sounds like an amazing guy! HUGS!

laverneboese said...

Sorry about your grandpa's passing. I know the memories must be tough at times, but I'm so glad you had the chance to know him. I never really knew mine and try to piece together some sort of relationship through photos. It's not the same. I'm so thankful we live close to my parents. My boys spend every Sunday with them and I'm so grateful they have this time together. Thanks for sharing the photos. I love your card :)

TheresaK said...

Sorry about your Grandpa.
Love the card, very pretty!