Sunday, September 21, 2008

Creative Therapy

I won a beautiful Red Velvet kit for participating in Creative Therapy's challenge last week. If you haven't checked out this challenge blog yet, you should. Very cleansing. And they've definately got quality RAK's!

I didn't think I'd get time to do the catalyst this week, but once the idea started rolling around in my head, I needed to get at it.

Catalyst Twenty-Seven was about scrapping a painful memory. My brother has been gone for over a decade and I thought it was time to tackle this subject. He was 21, his girlfriend was leaving him and his solution was to take a bottle of Tylenol. The problem was, that he took the pills on Tuesday, didn't try to get help until the next morning and then the damage was done. It attacked every organ in his body ... none of his organs were fit to transplant after his death. He didn't pass away until the Sunday night and Sunday afternoon was the last time I saw him. I've typed the journaling onto strips and layered transparent and die cut elements over the journaling. My idea was that I wanted the journaling to show through in bits, but cover over them with pretty things ... much like we try to cover over our pain.

The journaling reads ...

My brother died in the hospital over 11 years ago as a result of a bottle of Tylenol he had taken. It hit his kidneys and then went after his liver. The last day I saw him alive, his body had completely turned on him. He was out of his mind ... howling like an animal. The whites of his eyes were yellow. His skin was hot and dry. His room smelled like shit from the enema they had hoped might draw out some of the poisons. I was exhausted from lack of sleep as well as the flurry of emotions I was going through... confusion, anger, helplessness, fear, guilt. This is not the way I wanted to remember him but it is as much a part of him as all of his other experiences and I honour its importance. I try not to think of it too often because it is just too painful, but it is always with me.

14 comments:

Davinie Fiero said...

Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I didn't know that a bottle of tylenol could do that. How tragic.
What you created is beautiful and I'm glad you finally had the opportunity to express your feelings about this.

Rita said...

I'm very sorry about the loss of your brother. Your LO and journaling convey so much emotion. The design is brilliant given the difficult subject matter. Thank you for sharing with us.

Elisa said...

It was so brave of you to write about it and also to share it with us. It is a beautiful layout and painfully sad story - the term Creative Theraphy is very apt.

laverneboese said...

Tara, I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm so glad you were able to put your pain into words and create such a meaningful layout. Hugs to you for having the courage...

Kelly said...

Beautiful layout Tara.
Sorry that you lost your brother. What a tragic thing to happen :o(

Sonya said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a lovely layout, what a wonderful way to express your feelings.

mborrero said...

your story was too painful for me to finish. as i am in a delicate state now.. I am glad you are finding a creative outlet for it. thank you for sharing

Colleen said...

what an amazing page. i am so sorry for your loss. {{hug}}

Jennifer Roach said...

This page is incredible Tara. Thanks for sharing this painful story. (((hugs))))

Noel said...

Wow, this is stunning work Tara! i'm so sorry about your brother.... :(

I wanted to swing by and thank you so much for coming by the site this morning. Have a beautiful day!

Greta Adams said...

i am soooo sorry for the loss of your brother. that is a gorgeous tribute page!

Lulu said...

Thanks for sharing that beautiful layout Tara! I'm in tears for your loss... :(

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. Your journaling is incredibly heartfelt, I got chills reading it. Thanks for sharing with us!

Amanda said...

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing this! I love how you covered the journaling and the title is, obviously, perfect. Hugs!