Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Grunge Love

Morning!
Today hasn't started off quite the way it was supposed to and now I'm wondering just how the rest of it will go.
Paul was supposed to go to playschool and I was going to go up to Will's class to read with the kids. But Paul is still sporting a fantastically juicy cough and I doubt that Miss Theresa would want him coughing all over the other kids. I feel bad because today was going to be his day to wear his costume to school. I guess it can't be helped though.
And as for me ... I can't seem to get rid of a headache that's been stuck to me for almost a week now. I get these wicked tension headaches that cover my whole head, go down my neck and into my shoulders. Usually a Tylenol 3 will get rid of them, but nothing seems to be touching this one. I'm hoping I can get into the chiropracter today as that seems to help. I avoid it if I can just due to the cost of those visits. It adds up in a hurry.
I wanted to share a project that I've been fiddling with for awhile. In a previous Noel Mignon kit, there was a 12x12 sheet of grungeboard that I just didn't know what to do with. I didn't want to just use it as a background for a layout. I wanted to really USE it. I had seen this project idea on Martha Stewart's website and thought it might work in the same way as the leather that was used for her project.
I used Distress Inks and a mask from Tim Holtz as well as some Glimmer Mist for the base. The background stamp is from Stampin' Up! I just wasn't happy with the cover and ended up changing it.

Lots of Grungeboard elements, a Maya Road chipboard frame (covered with Distress Ink and Distress Embossing Powder), some October Afternoon patterned paper, Distress Crackle Paint and Perfect Pearls. A little bit of Distress Stickles and a K&Co. brad finish it.

Lots of subtle shimmer.



Martha's version had flaps on the inside front and back covers to tuck loose papers but I only had enough of the grungeboard to do the front.
I also painted the inside cover with Distress Crackle Paint, going over it with several colours of Distress Ink.

I used thin sketch paper for the inside and simply stitched up the spine.

I'm going to use this book for jotting down interesting quotes for layouts or cards as well as layout titles I see that I like. Once it's filled, I can just undo the binding and fill with fresh paper. Martha's version used an actual binding system, but I was too lazy to go buy one ;)
Overall, I like how the project turned out. I think I need a little more practice with sewing on grungeboard as I couldn't seem to get a tension that was neat on both sides though.
It's so fun to just play and see what comes out :)
I'd love to see your grungeboard projects. Link me up!

7 comments:

Noel said...

Tara! What an awesome project!! You are so clever...brilliant idea to sub the grungeboard for the leather. It's perfect material for a book cover. Thanks for sharing!! :) I love your masking and spray and also the closure you made.

Jana Eubank said...

Holy SMOKES!!! Tara!!! That is COOOOOL!!!!! :D :D :D I have a piece of this left . . . I just may have to give this a try! Brilliant!

Deanna said...

Good grief Tara! This is awesome! WOW! LOVe the way you used the grungeboard!

Virginia said...

OH my goodness! That is amazing! I love how the "latch" looks for the cover... every single part of this is just so awesome. Love it!

Dedra Long said...

Holy Wow Tara! This is stunning.
Makes me wanna go out and get some grungeboard girl!

Loves.
D.

chelemom said...

This is INCREDIBLE!!! Love ALL of it!!!

Greta Adams said...

brilliant my friend....totally loving the "leather book look" and the closure...your misting is perfect