Sunday, October 16, 2011

Up The Street September Kit Projects

Hello All!  I'm having a bit of a lazy Sunday today.  So much I should be doing, but blog hopping and reading (One Day by David Nicholls) seems to be filling up my time.
I went with some friends to see the new Footloose last night.  I haven't heard any reviews yet, but I thought it was really well done.  They were able to mix the iconic bits from the original in with a few new little twists.  The soundtrack is definately one that I'll be buying.  Having been a wee teeny bopper when the original came out, I've almost completely worn out the original (cassette tape!).  Now I want to see the original again.  The first time I saw it was with my friend, Heather, and her dad back in the day at the drive-in.  Great memory :)

Although I've just started playing with the next UTS kit, it doesn't reveal until November 1st.  In the mean time, I thought I'd share some of my projects from the September kits.
The first side is filled with greens and blues and, of course, some sparkly bits.  The MME Lost & Found 2 lines are just beautiful.
I don't often do 2 page spreads because they seem to take me forever to complete, but this one came together fairly quickly.  I used one of the new Crafters Workshop templates to create my background.  So simple ... I used the 12x12 Wood grain template with Tattered Angels Sprout Chalkboard Glimmer Mist (one of my favorite green mists) over kraft coloured cardstock.
I was shy an "o", so came up with an alternative by using a Spellbinders Pinking Circles die, a punched circle and a MME glazed brad.
I've included some Smash Pad sheets in the kit but felt the whole sheet was too large and distracting to use with the smaller photos.  I used the Sizzix Tiny Tabs & Tags die to create this little date accent.
And to add the small journaling tags on the photos, I pulled out my vintage typewriter. 
Back in August, I took my three boys, as well as two others to my mom's trailer for a sleepover.  It sounds like a lot of work, but I think it was actually easier than when I just have my own.  I just kept the food and drink flowing and they were content :)
I love the Bo Bunny papers from this kit.  They're perfect for backgrounds when you want to whip out a quick layout.
Rather than sticking with a plain old rectangular photo matte, I used the Spellbinders Creative Book Pages die to create a scalloped base.  I've also lifted the whole matte off the background by using some medium weight cardboard cut slightly smaller than the matte.  I find that if I just use foam adhesive, the photo ends up warping over time.
The large Studio Calico Wood Veneer star is backed with MME paper in order to create more of a contrast from the light coloured background.
And a few more of the wood veneer stars at the bottom with a series of the 7 Gypsies stickers.
I had so much fun creating this layout.  I love the new Pink Paislee Mistables papers.  They're a little bit heavier than the last release and seem to work better with mists.  I started by using Tattered Angels Teal High Heel Chalkboard Glimmer Mist to spray my background.  After it had dried, I used gesso, spread on with cardboard, as a modified photo matte.
I pulled out a few of my favorite Unity stamps to create a little bicycle accent (July KOM) stamped with Charcoal Chalk Ink and again misted with the Teal High Heel.  The sprig at the top of the journaling tag is from the August KOM and is stamped with clear embossing ink and powder.
Another custom "o" in the title.  I've also added some of the beautiful MME burlap trim and some North Country Prima letter stickers.
The 7 Gypsies Butterfly Rubbings are probably my favorite embellishment in this kit.  This one was applied to cardstock, cut out, covered with a coat of Glossy Accents and then sprinkled with some superfine glitter.  Much prettier in person :)
Moving on to the second side of the kit, I've used this photo of my Will and his friend Will from our stay at the trailer.  I'm outside, looking in, when this photo was taken.  A little blurry, but you can see the reflecting of the campfire in the window if you look closely.
These MME papers are so gorgeous.  The yellow glitter is lovely.
The scrolled title accent has been cut from the background paper (I covered the hole with my photo matte and strip of dotted paper) and then popped up for more dimension.  The "&" between the Wills is from the stunning Unity Carnivale Alpha set.
I've done three more layouts and a card with these kits ... just have to get photos of them :)

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Beautiful layouts! Could you please tell me the company that makes those wood letters? They're awesome!

Suzanne suzyq28024@gmail.com